NC’s RALEIGH — According to the authorities, at least five people were shot and killed on Thursday when a 15-year-old kid tore through a residential area of Raleigh, creating a two-mile-long crime scene and prompting a thorough investigation to ascertain the reason behind the attacks.
Chief Estella Patterson of the Raleigh Police Department told reporters during a briefing on Friday morning that “we don’t have answers as to why this tragedy transpired.”
One of the deceased is a city police officer named Gabriel Torres, 29, who was shot on his way to work on Thursday afternoon, according to Chief Patterson. She named the additional victims as being a 16-year-old boy, a 35-year-old woman, a 52-year-old woman, a 49-year-old woman, and a 35-year-old woman.
The alleged shooter, whose identity the authorities have not released, is in critical condition at a hospital, according to the authorities. It is unknown when and how he was hurt. A 59-year-old male who was in serious condition and a police officer who was treated at a hospital and then released from the hospital were the other two victims of the gunshots, according to Chief Patterson.
The police chief did not specify what kind of gun the shooter used, and it was not immediately known whether any of the victims knew the shooter.
The incident took place in the Hedingham district in Raleigh’s northeast, close to the Neuse River Greenway, a bicycle and pedestrian path that passes through marshes and pine forests.
The bodies of the victims were found dispersed throughout the area and on a nearby path when the police came late on Thursday afternoon, according to the authorities. Two victims’ bodies were found on a street lined with neat duplex homes when the police arrived, they added.
Following the attacks, police launched a manhunt while pleading with locals to stay inside their houses or leave the area. The shooter was eventually brought into custody by 9:37 p.m., according to the police, who said that he had been contained.
- 3 Philadelphia Police Swat Officers Are Shot And Killed While Serving A Warrant: Suspect Killed
- A Motorist Struck and Killed a Woman at an Orting Crosswalk Near a Mall
The situation lasted for a while, according to Chief Patterson.
Raleigh has been thrust into recurring anguish as a result of the recent bloodshed, becoming the latest American municipality to be forced to deal with the fallout from a mass shooting.
Raleigh’s mayor, Mary-Ann Baldwin, stated during the early-am news conference on Friday, “There are multiple families in our city waking up this morning without their loved ones.”
Gov. Roy Cooper of North Carolina said on Friday, “I saw the faces of Raleigh police officers last night and their pain was clear, and I know it is occurring all around the city.” “We’re depressed, enraged, and curious about all the things right now. Those queries will eventually have their answers, some of which will come today.
Mr Cooper said it was clearly obvious that elected officials needed to do more to confront the scourge of gun violence, even while investigators were still trying to figure out the motive for the attack and how it played out.
“We are all aware of the fundamental fact: No community, no family, no child, no grandmother, no one should experience this kind of fear in their neighbourhoods. No one,” Democratic Mr Cooper stated at the press conference. We cannot and will not ignore what has transpired here as policymakers. To achieve and make changes, we must be committed.
Residents of the area where the shooting occurred were in shock, completely overpowered by the commotion and confusion that the attack had sparked as well as by the horror of such violence taking place so near to home.
Cheryl St. James, a nurse, said late on Thursday as she pushed her car through traffic brought on by a crush of police and emergency vehicles, “I can’t believe this is happening in my neighbourhood.” It’s frightful,
On Thursday night, sirens could be heard blaring in the distance on Eagle Trace Drive, approximately a mile and a half from the scene of the shooting, as cars crept forward and police cars with flashing lights nosed through.
Project manager Ethan Garner, who has lived in the neighbourhood for three years, claimed that he departed in the early evening to grab dinner. He was watching television on his phone while waiting in his car hours later as police officers attended to the crime scene.
I don’t lock my doors,” he remarked. Yes, I have cameras, but I never have such concerns. Nothing has ever occurred.
Stay connected with lakecountyfloridanews.com for the Latest News.