Sunday night, people in a central North Carolina county were without power for a second night because vandals shot at two electric substations in what the police called a “targeted attack.”
Moore County Sheriff Ronnie Fields said it wasn’t clear why the damage was done on Saturday night. Because of power outages, schools will be closed on Monday and possibly for a longer time. Sunday church services and a popular golf resort were both messed up.
Fields said that the incidents were being looked into by local, state, and federal police, including the FBI. Jennifer Granholm, the U.S. Energy Secretary, said on Twitter that she had talked to Duke Energy Corp, which owns the substations, and that the Department of Energy was working with other agencies to find out what was going on and take action.
“The FBI Charlotte is looking into the intentional damage to power plants in Moore County,” the federal law enforcement agency said, referring to its offices in Charlotte, North Carolina. “We talk to local law enforcement and business partners on a regular basis.”
- Rockland County School Bus Accident: Seven Children and the Driver of a School Bus Were Injured
- Arlington Heights Train Accident: Pedestrian Killed by NW Train in Arlington Heights Extensive Delays Anticipated
According to the tracking site poweroutage.us, about 64% of Moore County’s electric customers were still without power on Sunday night. Moore County is a mostly rural area about 90 miles (145 km) east of Charlotte.
Around 7 p.m. Saturday, 40,000 homes and businesses in Moore County lost power. It was “a targeted attack. It wasn’t by chance, “Fields said. Utility workers found broken gates and signs that equipment had been shot at.
Jeff Brooks, a spokesman for Duke Energy, said that because of how bad the damage is, the power outages could last until Thursday.
The Pinehurst United Methodist Church didn’t have services on Sunday. Sunday, people in charge at the famous Pinehurst Resort worked hard to make sure golfers could still play.
Officials said that there was a curfew for Sunday night and that a shelter that can hold up to 250 people was opened.
Online rumors said that the incident had something to do with a drag show.
Stay connected with lakecountyfloridanews.com for the Latest News.