Richneck School Shooting: According to police and school officials, a first-grade student shot and badly injured a teacher at Richneck Elementary School on Friday afternoon. A 6-year-old kid engaged in “an altercation” with his teacher before shooting her with a firearm, according to Newport News Police Chief Steve Drew. Drew stated that one gunshot had been discharged and that it was not an accident. The youngster was arrested. No college students were hurt. The 30-year-old instructor is in critical condition due to her injuries.
Drew stated, “She was taken to a local hospital, and I can tell you that’s where our thoughts and prayers are right now. A 6-year-old pupil, whose mother requested anonymity, claimed to have seen the shooting, which took place at around 2 p.m. The young girl said to a reporter from the Daily Press that one of her first-grade classmates had “deliberately” shot their instructor. The girl claimed that the teacher was shot in the stomach and collapsed to her knees.
- Quentin Williams Car Accident: Killed by Wrong-way Driver Hours After Being Sworn
- We’re Not The Florida They Put On Postcards, But School Choice Works For Us Too
Officers at the site told a number of parents who were spoken to outside the school that a kid had shot a teacher. At a press conference held in front of the school, Drew stated, “We think that once we stepped in and got the information we had coming in (the school), we had the suspect in custody.” “There was no circumstance where someone was evading the school shooting. In one place, there was an incident where a gunshot was discharged.
How the handgun used in the incident was acquired, as well as the nature of the “altercation,” were both unknown as of Friday night. A public elementary school off Richneck Road in northern Newport News is completely accredited. According to the Virginia Department of Education, there were 553 students enrolled at the school in the autumn for the 2022–2023 academic year. Classes will not be held at the school on Monday, according to Newport News Superintendent George Parker III, “while we work on the emotional wellness of our staff and our pupils.”
At a press conference held in front of the school, he remarked, “I’m in amazement, in shock, and I’m disheartened.” Our students learned about gun violence today, Parker added. “And what weapons can do is disrupt not only a family or a community but also an educational environment.” He said that the faculty’s response to keeping kids safe “was admirable.”
According to their children’s grades, the officers on the scene organized the parents into lines. Parents complained about unclear instructions and having trouble hearing announcements. Joselin Glover, whose son Carlos was in fourth grade, was one of the parents lining up in front of the reunion facility. Glover claimed to have received a text message from the school informing her that one person had been shot and was in police custody. She claimed that she quickly ran to the school after “my heart stopped.” “I was quite anxious and panicking. Just curious whether my son was the one person there.
Parents were instructed to wait at a nearby church while Glover immediately proceeded to the school. Carlos, 9, who was in his class during recess when the shooting occurred, claimed that he and his friends were holed up in a classroom following. Carlos reported that the majority of the class was in tears. Glover reported receiving multiple calls and texts to check on her and her son. The school, she claimed, handled the circumstance “extremely effectively.” However, several parents claimed that the school did a terrible job of explaining the situation.
Both Joseph Hughes and Danyelle Rose, whose children attended the school, claimed to have learned about the incident from acquaintances and on social media rather than from the institution itself. After parking, Rose claimed, “I was already in this location when the school contacted and reported there had been a shooting.” “I was asleep because I work overnight. I was awakened by my father, who also informed me, and I quickly left the house. Therefore, I questioned, “Why didn’t the school call us?” Why, for example, didn’t I hear?
When he heard the news, Hughes claimed he “dropped everything” and hurried to the school to pick up his two children, ages 7 and 5. He said, “I never anticipated anything like this. Rose, whose daughter attends the school and is in the fifth grade, worries that the scenario will have a serious psychological impact on the pupils.
They aren’t wounded physically, but Rose’s kid contacted me crying. They should be safe at school, so why not? New York City The mayor, Phillip Jones, and the other city council members went to the scene to provide assistance. He claimed that until their parents could pick them up, students were held in the cafeteria.
I’m incredibly pleased with the police department and the sheriff’s office, Jones added, and I appreciate how quickly they responded. “A lot of individuals have had a long day. But ultimately, the safety of the children is our first concern. A thorough after-action report detailing what occurred was promised by Jones. It’s a bad day for Newport News, but we’re going to learn from it and get better, he said.
Enjoyed reading it? You may find more details at our official website, lakecountyfloridanews.com. Leave a comment or ask questions to get in touch with the authors.