Two People Died In Florida After Eating Raw Oysters

0
18

FLORIDA’S FORT LAUDERDALE — After consuming raw oysters, a restaurant patron in Fort Lauderdale passed away from a bacterial infection. This month, a man from Pensacola, Florida, died in a similar manner. Louisiana oysters were involved in both instances. The man who passed away had previously worked at the eatery known for its garlic crabs, according to Gary Oreal, the manager of the Rustic Inn, who spoke to the South Florida SunSentinel.

We have served a few billion oysters over the period of 60 years, and nobody has ever gotten sick like this person, according to Oreal. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Vibrio bacteria have no effect on how an oyster appears, smells, or tastes. According to the organization, over 80,000 Americans contract vibriosis annually, and about 100 of them pass away as a result.

The day after the patron started feeling unwell, inspectors from the Florida Department of Health visited the eatery and looked over its stock of oysters, according to Oreal. He added that the oysters being served at the moment are from Louisiana and that “we passed with flying colors and we were authorized to continue selling oysters.” “Others would have become ill, so we would know if there was a problem with the oyster bed.”

The eatery has a notice alerting customers to the dangers of consuming raw shellfish. According to Oreal, oysters are the most hazardous meal to consume. “I’ve consumed them throughout my life and will do so in the future. But when you do it, you put yourself in danger. According to the Florida Department of Health, so far this year, 26 people in the state have contracted the bacterium after eating raw shellfish, including oysters, and six of them have since passed away.

Out of the 34 people who were ill in 2021, 10 died. Among the 36 people that developed an illness in 2020, seven people passed away. According to the Pensacola News Journal, a man in Pensacola passed away last week after getting oyster market bacteria. The oyster was also from Louisiana, according to the authorities.

What To Know About Eating Raw Oysters?

According to Dr. Robert “Wes” Farr, a physician and professor at the University of West Florida, an oyster that appears to be in good health may actually be contaminated while not showing any symptoms. Although getting sick after eating an oyster is extremely unlikely, those who have underlying illnesses like liver disease, diabetes, or cancer are substantially more likely to do so. They can also be particularly dangerous for people using drugs that lower stomach acid, which is why Farr decides not to eat them himself.

Farr claims that because of the heat of the water, especially in shallower regions, summer continues to be a season when occurrences of the virus are most prominent. According to Farr, the infection can frequently be eradicated with the use of an antibiotic to treat sickness. The temperature of the oyster may feel cool to the touch, but when the ice melts, it’s likely that it has gone above 40 degrees, making it dangerous to eat. Farr came to the conclusion that cooking an oyster will eliminate any bacteria, making it the safest way to eat one.

For  more information like this do visit lakecountyfloridanews.com

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here