A New Effort To Get Out Of Mariupol Starts As A Short-term Truce Is Announced

A new effort was made to get people out of Ukraine’s southeastern city of Mariupol on Sunday after an earlier one failed because of the ongoing Russian bombardment across the country. There will be a temporary truce from 3 am to 2 pm on Sunday, the Mariupol City Council said on its Telegram channel. People will start leaving at 5 am. People would be taken out by public buses or civilians could leave on their own, as long as they kept to the humanitarian corridor, the council said.

Russian state news agency Tass said on Sunday that an official from the “Donetsk People’s Republic,” a group that is supported by Russia, said the plan for a humanitarian corridor had been agreed upon. 400,000 people live in Mariupol, which is under siege by Russian forces. City officials say that Russian shelling has hit critical infrastructure and left it without water, heat, or electricity. The new evacuation effort came after efforts to move people out of the main port city and the smaller nearby city of Volnovakha was quickly called off on Saturday.

Ukrainian officials said that Russian forces had kept shelling the city and the surrounding areas, making it hard for people to leave. Russia has always said that it did not target civilians. RIA, the country’s state-run news agency, said Saturday that the country’s defense ministry said that no one had used the corridors and that Ukrainian “nationalists” had blocked civilians from leaving. During the second round of talks between Ukrainian and Russian officials last week, both sides agreed to set up humanitarian corridors for civilians. However, no progress was made on stopping Russia’s attack on Ukraine.

Russia started its military offensive on Feb. 24, and since then, President Putin has seen his troops’ progress slowed by Ukrainian resistance on the ground and logistical problems. As a result, he has started to bombard cities and towns from the air more often. Britain’s defense ministry said in an intelligence report on Sunday that the U.S. is a threat “scale and strength of the Ukrainian resistance continues to surprise Russia,” Moscow added that it had “responded” by targeting populated areas in a number of places, including Mariupol.

Read More:

Ministry: Ukraine is still putting pressure on Russian supply lines and it’s possible that Russia is trying to hide fuel trucks in regular convoys so that it doesn’t have to pay as much for its supplies, the ministry said. Meanwhile, the number of civilian deaths is rising. U.N. humanitarian aid says that 351 civilians have been killed in the conflict, but it says that figure is likely to be much higher. As the Russian invasion began, the World Health Organization said Sunday that it had found six attacks on Ukraine’s health care facilities, transportation, and people since the start of the invasion.

“Even in times of conflict, we must protect the sanctity and safety of health care, a fundamental human right,” the WHO said in a tweet. There have been more than 1.5 million refugees from Ukraine moving to other countries in the last 10 days. Filippo Grandi, the UN High Commissioner for Refugees, also said that on Sunday. Tweet: He called it that.“the fastest-growing refugee crisis in Europe since World War II.”

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here